Saturday, February 16, 2008

Vicious Man eating turtles and docile sharks...

So, Yesterday, I went shark diving.. I know, "Blake, are you stupid?!?" well, yes, but this wasn't one of my stupid ideas. The idea sounds inherently dangerous, but its not.. Apparently the sharks that we see are the same as all the other tourists who do the same thing. These have been "Trained" to be at the spot we dive, so they can get a free meal. after we "chummed" (it was more like chum because they didn't put a lot in the water) we got in the cage to see these pansy sharks. They were long, some up to about 15-18 feet, but they weren't trying to attack the cage or anything.. So much for the element of danger.

All that being said, it was amazing. I was totally in their environment, and I just got to watch them. They were so graceful. it was awesome to be able to be in the water, and watch them eat the little bit that they did. 20 minutes went by way too quickly.

After that, we went down to one of the beaches, and watched the sea turtles come in. There was one on the beach when we got there, and probably about 50 tourists watching him. He looked at us the way turtles do (you know, all turtle-ly) turned around, and went back in the water. apparently we weren't as entertaining as we found him.

Then to lunch.. at world famous pizza bobs (I dont know that that means it is necessarily good, because no matter how good or bad it is, people are still going back to their mother lands, and talk about it). But all that being said, the food was pretty good.

The afternoon consisted of snorkeling in the same area as yesterday, only this time, I didn't go next to the rocks... We saw a little squid (really little, he was only about two inches long), angel fish, turtles, puffer fish, and lots of other fish that I dont know the name of. It was pretty cool, but stupid me didn't think about actually putting sunscreen on, you know because Im going to be in the water. But when you are snorkeling, your back is exposed, and my back has plenty of burn to show for it. But it was worth it.

The evening consisted of sitting on the beach, drinking a bottle of wine, and watching the sun set. That is when it hit me: Hawaii is truly beautiful, and just watching the sun set into the vast ocean was so pretty. It was one of those moments where I could see God's hand on creation.

What beauty. I am truly one lucky person right now.

No comments: