Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A return to my roots

So, I have been working in Tulare for the past three days. I will be working in Tulare for the next year and a half... With that being said, I have had a return to roots, on two fronts...

First, I grew up in Visalia (woot woot!). Visalia is about ten minutes from Tulare, and I feel like I am in my old stomping grounds. I can remember late nights getting stuck in farmers ponds, cruising Mooney, and eating at Mearls drive in. Well, It is now illigeal (as it was then) to cruise Mooney, Mearls drive in closed, and the farmers pond is still there. Ah, the memories! It has been alright being here, but it sucks to drive an hour each way to go to work. At least I can come home though.

When I first started at Lyles, I was working in Madera at the ethanol plant. My first day, I was given five stacks of plans, each about four inches thick. On these five sets of plans were miles (literally) of pipe. My job was to highlight them. I had to use different colors, distinguishing paint or insulated, and how thick of insulation. I worked forty hours a week for three weeks to accomplish this. Needless to say, I was going nuts.

Now, for number two... Part of my job here in Tulare is to define the scope (what work we will be doing) that My company is going to be doing for our sister company. So, you guessed, the Coloring is back!!! This shouldn't be nearly as bad though, because I have one set of plans, and it is only about a half inch thick. But, I am having flash backs, and this isn't a whole lot of fun. So, I will color for a while, then take a break and check espn.com. Then, I will color some more, and go and get a drink... I am just trying to find ways to break up the monotony. I almost got a stapler to put next to me, just so I could hit it a bunch to release a little tension.

I dont have a whole lot more to do, but I still have some. I am finding out that my job is going to be, at least for a while, the same thing, over and over. I get to try a process, become good at it, and then repeat it many times over.

Let the repitition continue

No comments: